Thursday, April 2, 2020

April Calendar Picture and collection pictures

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the lack of posts. I haven't been doing much with my Sylvanians recently, and if you're a member of the SF Collectors Forum, you probably already know that I unfortunately lost my beloved grandfather to coronavirus a few days ago.
His state seemed stable for a while, but ultimately worsened last week-end. The whole situation and circumstances have been very hard to deal with.
I'm doing my best to keep working and doing things that might help. It might be a good idea to try and get back into playing with my Sylvanians and writing stories...
Please, please everyone, stay safe and healthy and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

Since it's beginning of the month once again, here's the picture for April in the official SF Calendar.

I like how there's a sunset in this picture, love the colours. Looks like the children and babies of the village are having fun in what looks like a fair. Freya and her friend Ralph are eating cotton candy, so adorable! As always, love their clothes. I liked seeing the pastel-coloured Candy Wagon at the background, as I've recently purchased it. The tiny candies it comes with are truly adorable.

Do you all like these fair attraction sets that have been coming out for babies recently? It looks like this year they're going to be releasing many theme-park-themed sets (attractions, and even a haunted house!). What's your opinion on those? I don't think I'm going to buy any, but I can see the appeal for their current target. I'm more partial to the style of the old sets from Tomy and Flair.

--

Even though, as I mentioned, I haven't been doing much with my Sylvanians lately, I did want to share some of the things I've been working on during the past few weeks.
 
At the beginning of the year I bought a second-hand Flair Cottage Hospital. Since it was missing most of the small accessories, I bough the current Country Nurse Set to complete it a bit. The building had a lot of stickers randomly placed at the top of the walls, near where the roof would be, and after removing them they left white-ish patches, so I decided to make a "wall border" to hide them. I think it turned out pretty well. :)
Huge thanks to Berna (Alcalá de Sylvanian) who sent me a couple of the big pieces I was missing! Also, please marvel at the coat rack drip, haha! One of my aunts, who collects Playmobil, has since got me a Playmobil drip but I still don't have it with me.

Image

This building won't feature for a while in my stories, but you can be sure that doctor Andes will be delighted to finally have his own clinic. :)

More recently I have spent some time working on Camilla Hunter-Smyth's shoe and accessory shop. I had been wanting to work on this for a while, and I managed to finally get motivation to actually do it. I quite like the end result! Thank you once again to Berna, who sold me this versatile small building and suggested to build cardboard walls for the area missing actual walls. I will probably do that for when I actually take pictures for a story. I'm hoping to feature this building in a story in the near future. Hope you like it!

Image

Finally, a few weeks ago I spent some time setting up my collection display space with figures and accessories. I wouldn't dare call it a diorama, but thought that maybe you all would enjoy seeing it. This is the "real" Arcfield, as it currently sits on my furniture!

As you can see, there's a Cozy Cottage that I've still to wallpaper and furnish. A future project!

Image

Image

Image

Not the most interesting or perfect pictures, but I wanted to share some pictures of my village and what I've doing with my Sylvanians, even if it hasn't been much recently. Hope you liked them!

Have a wonderful rest of the week and stay safe, everyone.

7 comments:

  1. I love all those buildings being used by your Arcfield residents! I presume Mayor McFarlane spying on his neighbours is an accident, but it made me chuckle.

    I've only got a couple of "live in" houses but they are mainly used to help form exterior shots. Most of my other buildings (workplaces) stay in their boxes and are only brought out for photo sessions. I've not used the water wheel bakery or supermarket yet, and my hospital hasn't been the main feature in a story yet. Both floors of the school are fairly plain indoors so they are useful to double up as other rooms. And yet, seeing your lovely pictures makes me wonder if I'm missing out on not using my buildings more.

    Having your figures on display certainly cheers me up, and I've no doubt they do you too.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jackson,

      Thank you very much for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed my collection pictures.

      Haha, I should have put Beechwood Hall to the left, so that Mayor McFarlane wouldn't be spying on the neighbours!
      I love having my houses on display, and it was great fun to set everything up.
      I don't have much space either, but this was the result of freeing a little more on the shelves. The figures and buildings sure do cheer me up when looking at them. Sylvanians are so therapeutic!

      I definitely understand having to store things and getting them out when needed! The lack of space is a serious issue.
      I love both the water wheel bakery and the supermarket. Looking forward to seeing them in your stories!

      Have a great day and stay safe as well!

      Delete
    2. *of freeing a little more space

      Delete
  2. Hi Ayrell,
    Looking at the picture for April in the SF calendar makes me think of all the kids who have to stay at home all day due to the situation we are going through. Fortunately, Sylvanian kids can have fun and enjoy outdoors. Going to the funfair is something children love!Sylvanians kids and babies look very excited!
    I don´t think I´ll buy any of the new rides but I remember I said exactly the same about the town series buildings and finally they grew on me and I end up buying the department store!. Who knows, it might happen the same with theses new releases.
    I love looking at your collection. Arcfield village looks so full of life!
    I´m looking forward to seeing the hospital and the shoe shop featured in your future stories. I´m sure inspiration and motivation will go back. Now,take your time!

    A big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cutata,

      Thank you very much for your comment!
      You're absolutely right regarding the current situation being really hard for children. I sure hope things end soon so that they can enjoy be outside again. In a couple of months we'll hopefully be able to enjoy Summer and the beach!
      Luckily, there's no coronavirus in Sylvania!

      I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful department store when you set it up. Of the new releases, I find the haunted house quite charming, hehe, but I do not think I'll get it. The buildings are also getting smaller and smaller! Which on the other side could be good considering the lack of space! There's a new tree house which is absolutely adorable and I do like.

      I'm glad you liked my pictures. I had a lot of fun setting the buildings and figures up and since I don't have a lot to share lately I thought maybe some of my readers would enjoy seeing them.

      Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I hope my motivation and inspiration come back soon. And I'm glad you're feeling better yourself!

      Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ayrell.
    I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather. It must be a very tough time for your family. I will be thinking of you.
    Both the clinic and Camilla's shop turned out beautiful! You should indeed be very proud of them! I love the posters on the clinic walls as well as the rug on the floor of Camilla's shop! Did you make these?
    Also, it's so lovely to see your diorama of Arcfield! I find sometimes it can be tedious setting up scenes and buildings but you did a wonderful job, and the detail you put in really shows!
    I agree with you about the Tomy and Flair sets. I'm not a fan of most of the new sets from Epoch; I feel they don't tie in with the woodlandy, rustic village theme.
    Thank you for sharing this with us. May you stay safe and well. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie!

      Thank you for your kind comment and your supportive words, I truly appreciate them.

      Glad you liked the pictures and how I decorated the buildings. :)
      The posters on the clinic walls are printed versions of the ones that originally came with the hospital, as I didn't have them.
      The rug in the shoe shop is a glass coaster I bought in Flying Tiger, I think. :)

      I really enjoy setting up scenes myself, and I had great fun setting up everyone in the shelves. :)
      I completely agree regarding the woodlandy rustic village theme! I wish they'd make more sets in that vein, or at least re-release some older ones that are now difficult to find.

      Thank you once again and stay safe!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! :)