Monday, January 20, 2020

Calico Critters School Bus Review

Hello everyone!
I hope you're having a wonderful month of January.

I apologise in advance, as this post is long overdue; you might remember that back in August of last year, I posted a story (Back to School) that was also an entry for a competition in the Sylvanian Families Collectors Community forum.

I am very happy and honoured to say that my little story won first place in the competition! I'm truly glad that so many people liked my entry. I love writing, but as I'm not a native English speaker, I always worry about my word choices not being ideal, about the ideas and feelings I want to convey not quite reaching. I feel truly honoured! Thank you once again to everyone who liked my story and voted for me!

I was able to choose a prize, and picked the Calico Critters School Bus. I was really excited, since this is a exclusive CC item, not available in Europe! I received it shortly after the competition (thank you, Terra!) and thought it'd be interesting to do a short review on it. Sorry that it took me so long!

I won't be writing much, since the pictures speak for themselves, but I hope that you enjoy this review and that it's useful!



Here are a couple of pictures of the front and the back of the box. So colourful! Love the little flavour text and the small pictures to the side. 


 

Here is what we see as we open the box. Some instructions for placing the seats and the stickers.


 

Here we have the seats and the little stop sign on the bus. As shown on the box, when you pull on the lever next to the driver's seat, the doors open and this little sign pops out. It's adorable!

A picture of the stickers, too!




The school bus in all its glory! It feels quite sturdy and it rolls flawlessly. :D I love it! I never thought I'd have something like this but it's really cool. I have also added a pic of the driver seat with the wheel and the lever I was talking about.



A final pic of the bus, and another one with a couple of figures inside so that you can see the space inside when the seats are removed. The seats can also be put sideways so that the passengers are looking at each other. 

 
And that's it for my review! Hope it was useful or that you enjoyed it at least. I know I love reading Sylvanian reviews, haha! With this final picture, I wanted to show you the family that will own the bus in Arcfield. They're the Butler/Bearbury bear family I recently bought (thank you once again Berna for the wonderful outfits for the mother and father!). I'm planning on changing their surname, not sure to what yet...

You might have also noticed that I haven't used all the stickers available for the school bus. That's because in my village it won't be just a school bus, but a normal bus that the villagers take to get in and out of the village. I also plan on having its owners live in it, tiny home style! I don't know if it's very realistic to have the family both drive the bus and live in it, but I kind of want to do that, haha... Maybe they can carry everything in the trunk and swap as needed? :)

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ayrell!
    Thank you for this detailed review. You really deserved this prize. Your story was great!
    I love this bus.It´s so unique! It´s such a pity it´s not available in Europe.
    At first, I didn´t now the seats could be removed. I thought they were permanent like the ones in the Woodland bus. It is more spacious that I thought so the idea of turning it into the home for its owners is a good one. You were very lucky to find the bus driver and his family.
    Looking forward to seeing their bus running in Arcfield and their home on wheels.
    Have a wonderful week you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!
      Thank you so much for your kind comment, I'm so happy you liked my story! :)
      I feel so lucky to have found the Bearbury bears with two children and the baby, I know they are all sold separately except for the bus driver and conductor. I love them!
      Hope to be able to write a little story about them and their mobile home soon!
      Have a wonderful day. :)


      Delete
  2. That's a splendid review, Ayrell! Your prize was well deserved, and it's lovely to see it. Your idea of combining village transport and accommodation is an intriguing one, and I'm sure you'll find an inventive way of achieving this.

    I understand not using the stickers - I can't bring myself to put stickers on my Seaside Restaurant (the only new building I have), but I can always cheat by PhotoShopping after I've taken the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jackson,

      Thank you very much for your kind comment! At first I thought I should decide whether I should have them drive the bus OR live in it, but as I mentioned in the post, I want to have them doing both, haha! I'll have to keep thinking, it'll probably come to me as I sit down to write the story.
      I understand the reticence regarding the stickers! But I find it's always worth it once they're in their place.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ayrell! Thank you for showing us around this beautiful bus! I think the villagers of Arcfield are very lucky to have it!
    I was suprised to learn English is not your native language, because your writing always seems to flow so naturally. You are a very gifted writer!
    Good luck to the Bearbury family! I'd love to hear how their 'tiny bus living' goes!
    Oh if only my own school bus was like this one... *sigh*
    Have a lovely rest of the week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie,

      Thank you very much for your kind comment! It made me happy to read that you didn't notice I wasn't a native speaker! I'm from Spain, and learned English mostly by myself, playing videogames and looking at the dictionary, haha! I have also formally studied it for many years of course, even in college, as I'm a professional translator. I love languages and writing, both in Spanish and in English! So a huge thank you once again, so happy you enjoy my writing! :)

      I hope to write a story featuring my new family and their bus very soon!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Dear Ayrell,


    Congratulations on winning first place in the competition with your story!

    I had never before seen the Calico Critters school bus. It is very pretty and I can imagine that the Sylvanians of Arcfield will enjoy riding it around the village - and the family that will be living in it, using it as a home. :)

    I like the stickers that were thought to go on the side with the sun and rainbow and butterflies. Very cute. The thing with the lever is awesome. :)

    By the way, your English is really great and you have such a wide vocabulary for a non native speaker. I thought you were from England or America and had just moved to Spain in order to study there. :D

    Have a great week,


    Nina & the Riversiders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nina!

      Thank you very much for your kind comment! I'm also quite fond of this little bus. I would have never owned it if it weren't for the contest, so I'm so happy and grateful to everyone who voted for me! :)
      Your comment about my English made my day! That must be the highest praise possible for a non-English speaker, hehe! Thank you so much. I know I still have much to learn, but that's the fun part. :)
      Your English is wonderful as well! I love your stories and your writing, your personal style really shines through! :)
      Have a great week!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! :)