Friday, March 15, 2019

A change of heart

Hi everyone!

For the fifth creativity/crafting challenge of the year in the Sylvanian Families Collectors Community, I wrote a short story. The theme was:

Challenge #5: Farm Life

Spring is almost here! All over Sylvania, eager farmers are beginning to prepare for some of the busiest months of the year. Most of the foods that Sylvanians eat come from their own gardens or local farms, so agriculture tends to be a major part of life in the village.

Perhaps, in some areas, there is a large farm that supports many villagers. Or, critters might have kitchen gardens, small allotments, or windowsill herb gardens. Younger Sylvanians may be trying their hand at growing their first vegetable while more experienced adults might have plans to use a special growing technique or cultivate a unique crop. Those that live in the Town will begin looking forward to the arrival of fresh produce.

Show us how farming is connected to the lives of your Sylvanians! Make an item or items, photograph a scene, write a story, or do whatever inspires you to create a project around the farming theme! 


I was all out of ideas and inspiration for most of the fortnight and had pretty much decided I wasn't going to participate this time (as none of my current families are farmers nor do I have any farming items), but my boyfriend gave me an idea and I decided to write a mini-story. Hope you like it, and sorry if it's just barely related to farming!

--



The Hunter-Smyth family has just recently moved to Arcfield from the big city. Father Charles is a banker and commutes everyday to and from work, but as he grew up in his parents' farm as a child, he wanted his children to have the same type of tranquil childhood he experienced. His older children, Hector and Isabella, are not quite yet sold on the idea, but they're slowly getting used to life in a small village.
Today Charles has a day off and he's taking care of the children while his wife Camilla does the grocery shopping. Hector and Isabella are doing their homework, and he's trying to convince them about visiting his parents' (their grandparents') farm... all while keeping an eye on the baby triplets, Dylan, Helena and Gerard!




"You would have a fantastic time at grandma's and grandpa's, you see!"
"No way, dad!" Hector says, lifting his eyes from his maths book to look at his father. "We would have to get up at the crack of dawn..."
"...and spend all day in the dirt, picking and pulling vegetables! Ugh, hate them!" Isabella finishes her brother's sentence. They're twins, and they tend to do that!



Charles sighs. Hector and Isabella are city children, they can't help it. But despite the hard work, he remembers his time at the farm fondly. He wishes they could understand.

"But you would get to run around in the fields, climb trees, lay on the grass to look at the clouds and the stars, read a nice book by the chimney at the end of the day... Dylan, get off the table!"
The triplets are quite energetic, always moving around. Poor Charles is severely outnumbered!




It is just then that Camilla gets home from her errands. All children say hi to their mother, and the triplets run to her. They have sure missed her!

"Charles, when I was going past the post office, I was told that there was a big box for us. Your mother and father sent us a lot of their crops! It was so heavy I left it at the entrance. Could you please get it in the house?"
"Ah, but of course, my lady! Your wish is my command" Charles replies jokingly. Camilla smiles back at him, amused.



Charles brings in the heavy package, and the children clear out the table in order to see some of its contents. There's a lot of delicious and healthy-looking fruits and vegetables! Isabella wrinkles her nose at the veggies. She's not a fan.

"These are so fresh, Charles! They look like they were picked just this morning".
"Ah, that's because they probably were" says Charles, smiling. "My mom and dad have probably paid a lot to make sure these reached us today. I'll have to give them a call to thank them".



Camilla uses the fresh produce her in-laws sent them to make snacks for the whole family, which they later enjoy together while the triplets are taking a nap.

Isabella opens her eyes wide after tasting the delicious juice made by pressing the oranges her grandma sent.
"Wow, this is the best orange juice I've ever had!"
Hector smiles after taking a bite of one of the slices of the apple his mother cut up for them.
"It's so juicy and delicious! I have never had an apple this good!"

Charles is also pleased with the delicious salad, which tastes like the ones he used to have as a child. But the star is, no doubt, the sweet yoghurt cream with fruit. All the flavours of the different fruits complement each other perfectly.

"Dad, you didn't mention that we would get to eat food this good if we went to grandma and grandpa's!" says Hector quite loudly.
"That's right!" says Isabella, nodding repeatedly. "I'm thinking that we should go visit as soon as possible, don't you think, mom?"

Charles and Camilla look at each other and start laughing. Who would have thought their children could be convinced through the stomach?

--

The end! Hope you enjoyed the short story and pictures. :)

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha! A lovely story, Ayrell, and nice to see the Hunter-Smyths featured.

    You put across a good sense of family and domesticity. I like the wallpaper too.

    And as for Dylan on the table - cute overload.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackson! I'm glad you enjoyed this sort story. It was the perfect opportunitu to feature the Hunter-Smyths, indeed! I just recently got them and I still need to add them to my "Families" page.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ayrell!
    I really love this story! It brought me back memories of my childhood when I had to go visiting my grandparents on my father´s side. They lived in a very tiny village in the north of Palencia. A very rural and quiet place for a city girl. I loved spending time with my grandparents and other relatives but there were things I didn´t like about going there such as the the smell of the sheep stable, the pigsty and the henhouse.There wasn´t even a proper bathroom and no washing machine and not a single shop in the village!! However, there were other things that I really enjoyed such us running and playing in the fields, the warm fireplace and the great tasting vegetables and fruit from my grandparents´vegetable patch.I loved picking up strawberries and tomatoes. They were delicious! My grandmother used to filled up a box with fresh vegetables, fruit and eggs when my family and I were going back to our hometown.As you can see part of my childhood related to the Hunter Smyths´ children to some extent.

    It was also nice to see the whole Hunter-Smyth family in their cozy living room. I had always wanted to have this family. They´re adorable! Looking at them in your lovely pictures made me want them even more so I bought a second hand family. I´m looking forward to their arrival! hope to find the triplets too! They are very cute!

    I´m happy you found inspiration to participate in this challenge eventually.It was really nice of your boyfriend to give you an idea for the story.I was really worth it!

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!
      I'm so happy that my little story was relatable and made you remember your childhood! :) Glad you enjoyed it. I'm a city girl myself (so I can also understand the Hunter-Smyth children!), but I do love the idyllic life Sylvanians live.

      Ooh, I'm also happy that you decided to buy the family! Looking forward to their arrival in Sweet Berry Valley. They're just the cutest. I got them from Kobeejapan on eBay and they also had the triplets for sale so I bought the whole family, but I believe you should be able to find them on Amazon.com (Calico Critters brand). Good luck! I remember seeing them on Eaton's blog and finding them adorable.

      I'm also glad to have written this short story and thankful to my boyfriend who gave me the idea. He's very supportive of my Sylvanian hobby, always giving me ideas. I'm so lucky to have him! I'm happy how the story came out in the end. I wanted to participate but I was all out of inspiration.

      Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Ayrell! Well done on this cute little story! It was lovely to meet the Hunter-Smythes and the triplets are just too cute, I love the part about Dylan being on the table!
    I hope the children adjust to life in their small village after living in the big city. I can understand where they are coming from, as everyone is suited to their own way of life. I think I am more like Charles though, to me the country is definetely where I belong!
    Thanks for this story and the sweet photos. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie!
      Thank you so much for your kind comment!
      The triplets are so cute, hehe, if you look closely you'll see that a bit later it's Gerard who is on the table. :)
      I'm sure Hector and Isabella will adapt to life in Arcfield. I sure hope so, anyway!

      Thanks again and have a nice week as well! :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! :)